Let’s get this out of the way first. I’m not a big fan of dancing. I’m also not a big fan of dance movies. Particularly because all of them (the one I’ve seen anyway) feels exactly the same. Generally, the formula always goes something like this
- There’s always going to be a big dance-off competition around the corner and the dance crew (in this movie, The Pirates) is preparing for it.
- The new guy (if there is any) awes everybody with his/her dance moves. The new guy joins the crew.
- Mid-way through the movie, something goes wrong. E.g.: A person betrays the team by leaking their dance moves and/or joins the opposing team. Mind you, this happens conveniently right before the final showdown.
- Everybody give up hope and suddenly, a person in the team (usually the new guy) inspires everyone to move on.
- They defy the odds and win the competition.
Don’t take me wrong however. I LOVE this movie. Seriously, we all know we didn’t come and watch this movie to enjoy the “deep” storyline. We came to see the DANCE MOVES and my God, this movie is saturated with fantastic choreography. From the robot dance to the finals where The Pirates put lots and lots of LEDS on their shirt, the dances were out of this world. With the exception of a few of course, which looks like a bunch of people having a seizure. But that just probably me.